Advancing Youth Justice: An Assessment of Access to and Quality of Juvenile Defense Counsel in Oregon, National Juvenile Defender Center, September 2020.
Rethinking the Role of the Juvenile Justice System: Improving Youth’s School Attendance and Education Outcomes, The Council of State Governments Justice Center, Sept. 2020.
Fail: School Policing in Massachusetts, Citizens for Juvenile Justice, 2020.
Sticker Shock 2020: The Cost of Youth Incarceration, Justice Policy Institute, July 2020.
- Juvenile Life Without Parole: An Overview, The Sentencing Project, February 2020
- Youth Sentenced to Life Imprisonment, The Sentencing Project, October 2019
- State-Led Juvenile Justice Systems Improvement, Urban Institute, May 2018
- Black Disparities in Youth Incarceration, The Sentencing Project, September 2017
- Juvenile InJustice: Charging Youth as Adults is Ineffective, Biased, and Harmful, Human Impact Partners, February 2017.
- Beyond Bars: Keeping Young People Safe At Home and Out of Youth Prisons, National Collaboration for Youth, December 2016.
- Racial Disparities in Youth Commitments and Arrests, The Sentencing Project, April 2016.
- Declines in Youth Commitments and Facilities in the 21st Century, The Sentencing Project, December 2015.
- Maltreatment of Youth in U.S. Juvenile Corrections Facilities, The Annie E. Casey Foundation, June 2015.
- Law Enforcement's Leadership Role in Juvenile Justice Reform: Actionable Recommendations for Practice & Policy, International Association of Chiefs of Police, July 2014.
- Slow to Act: State Responses to 2012 Supreme Court Mandate on Life Without Parole, The Sentencing Project, June 2014.
- Engaging Juvenile Justice System-Involved Families, National Council on Crime & Delinquency, May 2014.
- Supervision Strategies for Justice-Involved Youth, National Council on Crime & Delinquency, May 2014.
- Close to Home: Strategies to Place Young People in Their Communities, National Council on Crime & Delinquency, May 2014.
- Stakeholders' Views on the Movement to Reduce Youth Incarceration, National Council on Crime & Delinquency, April 2014.
- Using Bills and Budgets to Further Reduce Youth Incarceration, National Council on Crime & Delinquency, March 2014.
- Kids Doing Time for What's Not a Crime, Texas Public Policy Foundation, March 2014.
- Disproportionate Minority Contact In The Juvenile Justice System, The Sentencing Project, 2014.
- Juvenile Life Without Parole: An Overview, The Sentencing Project, 2014.
- Race for Results: Building a Path to Opportunity for All Children, The Annie E. Casey Foundation, 2014.
- Automatic Adult Prosecution of Children in Cook County, Illinois. 2010-2012, Juvenile Justice Initiative, April 2014.
- A Generation Later: What We've Learned about Zero Tolerance in Schools, Vera Institute of Justice, December 2013.
- State Trends Legislative Victories from 2011-2013 Removing Youth from the Adult Criminal Justice System, Campaign for Youth Justice, October 2013.
- Sexual Victimization in Juvenile Facilities Reported by Youth, 2012, U.S. Department of Justice, June 2013.
- The Comeback States: Reducing youth incarceration in the United States, National Juvenile Justice Network, 2013.
- Reforming Juvenile Justice: A Developmental Approach, National Research Council, 2013.
- Missouri: Justice Rationed, National Juvenile Defender Center, Spring 2013.
- Family Comes First: Transforming the Justice System by Partnering with Families, Campaign for Youth Justice, 2012.
- Raised on the Registry: The Irreparable Harm of Placing Children on Sex Offender Registries in the US, Human Rights Watch, May 1, 2013.
- Common Ground: Lessons Learned From Five States That Reduced Juvenile Confinement By More Than Half, Justice Policy Institute, February 2013.
- Reducing Youth Incarceration in the United States, The Annie E. Casey Foundation, February 2013.
- Juvenile Justice Reform In Connecticut: How Collaboration and Commitment Have Improved Public Safety and Outcomes for Youth, Justice Policy Institute, February 2013.
- Colorado: An Assessment of Access to Counsel and Quality of Representation in Juvenile Delinquency Proceedings, National Juvenile Defender Center and Colorado Juvenile Defender Coalition, Winter 2012.
- Handcuffs on Success: The Extreme School Discipline Crisis in Mississippi Schools, Advancement Project, January 2013.
- Report: Too Many Teens in Solitary Confinement, ACLU, October 2012.
- The Lives of Juvenile Lifers: Findings from a National Survey, The Sentencing Project, March 2012.
- The Consequences of Prosecuting Youth as Adults and the need to Restore Judicial Oversight, Colorado Juvenile Defender Coalition, February 2012.
- Juvenile Justice Realignment in 2012, Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, January 2012.
- "Campaign for Youth Justice Youth Justice System Survey," Gerstein Bocian Agne Strategies, October 11, 2011.
- State Trends: Legislative Victories from 2005 to 2010 Removing Youth from the Adult Criminal Justice System, Campaign for Youth Justice, 2011.
- Suspended Education: Urban Middle Schools in Crisis, Southern Poverty Law Center, September 2010.
Kaitlin Forman, Understanding Juvenile Sex Offenders in Light of Graham v. Florida, Florida Defender, Winter 2013/2014.
Ilona Vila, Barry University's School of Law: Fighting for Florida's Juvenile Defendants, Florida Defender, Winter 2013/2014.
Bryan Gowdy, Four Years Later: Terrence Graham's Attorney On Issues Created by the Landmark Decision, Florida Defender, Winter 2013/2014.
Conditions of Confinement: Findings From the Survey of Youth in Residential Placement, The Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, May 2010.
Trial Defense Guidelines: Representing a Child Client Facing a Possible Life Sentence, The Campaign for the Fair Sentencing of Youth.
National Standards for the Care of Youth Charged with Status Offenses, Coalition for Juvenile Justice, 2013.
- New Guidelines Establish a Standard of Representation for Children Facing Life Sentences, June 2015.
- Youth Matters: Roper, Graham, J.D.B., and the New Juvenile Jurisprudence, March 2014.
- Defending Juvenile Confessions After J.D.B. v. North Carolina, March 2014.
- Interviewing a Child Client, March 2014.
- New Partners and New Opportunities in The Defense of Children Facing Life Without Parole, March 2014.
- Addressing the Collateral Consequences of Convictions for Young Offenders, July/August 2011.
- An Appeal to Join the Civilized World, July/August 2011.
- Gang Databases: Labeled for Life, July/August 2011.
- Juvenile Justice, July/August 2011.
- Juvenile Life Without Parole, July/August 2011.
Charging Kids as Adults Counterproductive in Maryland by Emily Mooney, The Baltimore Sun, October 2019.
Trying Youth as Adults Defeats the Purpose of the Juvenile Justice System by Lauren Barretto, Juvenile Justice Information Exchange, June 2015.
School Discipline Often Meted out Unevenly, NPR, August 8, 2011.
The War on Kids: How American Juvenile Justice Lost Its Way by Cara H. Drinan, 2018.
- The Evolution of the Juvenile Court: Race, Politics, and the Criminalizing of Juvenile Justice by Barry C. Feld, 2017.
- Burning Down the House: The End of Juvenile Prison by Nell Bernstein, 2014.
Join the Movement to End Life Without Parole Sentences for Youth, The Campaign for the Fair Sentencing of Youth, November 2011.
Campaign for the Fair Sentencing of Youth
National Juvenile Justice Network
The National Juvenile Justice & Delinquency Prevention Coalition
Justice Policy Institute
Children's Defense Fund
Campaign for Youth Justice
Coalition for Juvenile Justice
Colorado Juvenile Defender Coalition
Pre-Trial Suppression & Fourth Amendment Issues
This Trial Guide is a topical and practical handbook examining the nuts and bolts of the most current Fourth Amendment & Pre-Trial Suppression issues encountered in modern criminal cases.
Defense Counsel Playbook for Eyewitness ID Cases
This Trial Guide was written to help counsel use existing case law to its strongest advantage, and to create a framework for appellate challenges urging courts to adopt leading cases.
Ultimate Cross 2.0
This special CLE compilation program includes the highest-rated presentations on Cross-Examination techniques from NACDL's most recent seminars (2017-2019).
Forensic Sciences in Criminal Cases: A Multidiscipline Primer
In order to challenge forensic evidence, experts, reports and findings commonly encountered in the courtroom, an attorney must first have a basic understanding of the forensic issues that they will be confronting.
Most Recent NACDL Champion Articles
- Book Review: The Master Plan by Chris Wilson and Bret Witter
- Book Review: A Stone of Hope by Jim St. Germain with Jon Sternfeld
- Book Review: The War on Kids by Cara Drinan