NACDL conducts annual elections for various officer and Board positions. Each year, NACDL elects approximately one third of the Board of Directors. Directors serve three-year terms and may serve two consecutive full terms. Each year NACDL also elects a Secretary, Second and First Vice President, and President Elect. After a one-year term, the President Elect automatically becomes President. Finally, NACDL elects a Treasurer to a two-year term every other year. The Treasurer is ineligible to run for any Board or Director office during that term.
Periodically NACDL conducts special elections to fill positions left vacant.All elections and election candidates are subject to the provisions of the NACDL bylaws regarding elections and to the board-adopted standing board policy on elections.
NACDL Special Election Notice
NACDL’s Board of Directors will fill two board vacancies by special election at the Board’s October 24, 2020, Fall Meeting. Both vacant terms will run until the 2021 Annual Meeting. The Board of Directors will elect candidates upon nomination by the Nominating Committee.
Who May be Nominated
Any NACDL member who is qualified to vote may be nominated for the vacant Director positions. Members who are qualified to vote include Regular, Public Defender, Life, and any other member category identified in Article IV of NACDL’s bylaws.
How to be Nominated
A qualified member may be nominated in the following ways:
- The Nominating Committee may nominate any qualified member; or
- Any candidate who submitted materials to the Nominating Committee for the special election and was not nominated by apply for consideration directly to the Board of Directors.
Nomination by the Nominating Committee
The Nominating Committee will nominate two candidates for the two vacant Board of Director positions. The Nominating Committee seeks candidates with leadership potential who have demonstrated commitment to the Association and the profession. The Nominating Committee will attempt to attain geographical, professional, minority, and gender diversity. Limited financial assistance is available to those officers and directors who cannot afford the cost of transportation and lodging for Board meetings.
Nominating Committee submissions are due by 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time on September 25, 2020. Submissions must include the following items:
- A designation of the position(s) for which the member would like to be considered;
- A statement of qualifications of up to 600 words, which may include
- A statement of service to NACDL,
- NACDL meetings attended,
- Member recruitment efforts,
- Committee work,
- Service to the legal profession (including work on behalf of criminal justice issues and for other professional associations),
- A description of the member’s practice (including areas of concentration and percentage of time devoted to criminal defense and pro bono work), or
- Other relevant community service;
- A resume or curriculum vitae;
- A statement that the candidate is a members in good standing of his or her respective bar; and
- A profile or headshot photograph the candidate.
Candidates are responsible for confirming that their materials have been received. Candidates must disclose if they are under indictment or information for any felony or crime involving moral turpitude.
Continue reading below
NACDL to Focus on Service and Support for Members, Clients, and Community Throughout Virus Emergency
The Nominating Committee may announce an opportunity for candidates to present before the committee in support of their candidacy. Such presentation would be optional, and no negative inference will be drawn if a candidate does not present.
The Nominating Committee will report its nominations to the Executive Director by October 16, 2020. Candidates will be notified the next business day, and will have until 5:00 pm Eastern Time on October 21 to apply for nomination directly to the Board of Directors if so desired.
Candidates should send their submissions to the NACDL Elections Registrar at email@example.com and to Nominating Committee chair Drew Findling at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NACDL General 2021 Election
In 2021, NACDL will elect 13 members of the Board of Directors, in addition to a President-Elect, First Vice President, Second Vice President, and Secretary. Members interested in seeking nomination should check this page starting in early January for submission requirements and deadlines.