- The Innocence Epidemic, Death Penalty Information Center, Feb. 2021.
- The Death Penalty in 2020: Year End Report, Death Penalty Information Center, Dec. 2020.
- Use or Threat of Death Penalty Implicated in 19 Exoneration Cases in 2019, Death Penalty Information Center, Oct. 2020.
- Enduring Injustice: The Persistence of Racial Discrimination in the U.S. Death Penalty, Death Penalty Information Center, September 2020.
- The Death Penalty in 2019: Year End Report, Death Penalty Information Center, December 2019.
- Capital Crimes: State and Federal Cases, Annual Report, Ohio Office of the Attorney General, 2019.
- The State of Capital Punishment, National Conference of State Legislatures, July 2019.
- Capital Punishment, 2017: Selected Findings, Bureau of Justice Statistics, July 2019.
- The Death Penalty in 2018: Year End Report, The Death Penalty Information Center, December 2018.
- Capital Punishment in Pennsylvania: The Report of the Task Force and Advisory Committee, Joint State Government Commission, June 2018.
- Behind the Curtain: Secrecy and the Death Penalty in the United States, Death Penalty Information Center, November 2018.
- Prisoners on Ohio’s Execution List Defined by Intellectual Impairment, Mental Illness, Trauma, and Young Age, Fair Punishment Project, August 2017.
- Battle Scars: Military Veterans and the Death Penalty, Death Penalty Information Center, November 2015.
- Capital Punishment, 2012 - Statistical Tables, Bureau of Justice Statistics, May 15, 2014.
- Irreversible Error: Recommended Reforms for Preventing and Correcting Efforts in the Administration of Capital Punishment, The Constitution Project, 2014.
- The 2% Death Penalty: How a Minority of Counties Produce Most Death Cases At Enormous Costs to All, Death Penalty Information Center, October 2013.
- Tinkering with Life: A Look at the Inappropriateness of Life Without Parole as an Alternative to the Death Penalty, The Sentencing Project, January 2013.
- Maryland's Death Penalty, Maryland Citizens Against State Executions, February 2012.
- Facts about the Death Penalty, Death Penalty Information Center, September 2011.
- Struck by Lightning: The Continuing Arbitrariness of the Death Penalty, Thirty-Five Years After Its Re-instatement, Death Penalty Information Center, July 2011.
- Texas Death Penalty Developments in 2010 - The Year in Review, Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, December 2010.
- Sixth and Final Report, Illinois Capital Punishment Reform Study Committee, October 28, 2010.
- Final Declaration of the 4th World Congress Against the Death Penalty, Geneva, February 26, 2010.
- Death Penalty Overview: Ten Reasons Why Capital Punishment is Flawed Policy, National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, 2009.
- Scott Phillips and Trent Steidley, A Systemic Lottery: The Texas Death Penalty, 1976 to 2016, Columbia Human Rights Law Review, 2020.
- Alex Lundberg, On the Public Finance of Capital Punishment, Department of Economics; West Virginia University, April 2019.
- Aliza B Kaplan, Peter A Collins, and Venetia L. Mayhew, Oregon's Death Penalty: A Cost Analysis, Lewis & Clark Law School and Seattle University Department of Criminal Justice, November 16, 2016.
- Justin F. Marceau, Sam Kamin, and Wanda Foglia, Death Eligibility in Colorado: Many are Called, Few are Chosen, (January 31, 2013). U Denver Legal Studies Research Paper No. 13-08.
- Ray Paternoster, Racial Disparity in the Case of Duane Edward Buck, University of Maryland, December 2012.
- Nicholas Petersen and Mona Lynch, Prosecutorial Discretion, Hidden Costs, and The Death Penalty: The Case of Los Angeles County, The Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, Vol. 102 No. 4, October 23, 2012.
- Bias in the justice system is real, and the death penalty reveals it by Jennifer L. Eberhardt, Los Angeles Times, March 2019.
- The death penalty is unworthy of America by Editorial Board, Washington Post, January 2020.
- The overwhelming evidence against the death penalty by Austin Sarat, The New Republic, May 2017.
- The case against the death penalty, ACLU, revised 2012.
- Let the Lord Sort Them: The Rise and Fall of the Death Penalty by Maurice Chammah, 2021.
- Quest for Justice: Defending the Damned (2nd Ed.) by Richard S. Jaffe, 2020.
- Arbitrary Death: A Prosecutor’s Perspective on the Death Penalty by Rick Unklesbay, 2019.
- Lethal State: A History of the Death Penalty in North Carolina by Seth Kotch, 2019.
- Surviving Execution: A Miscarriage of Justice and the Fight to End the Death Penalty by Ian Woods, 2018.
- The Sun Does Shine: How I Found Life and Freedom on Death Row by Anthony Ray Hinton, 2018.
- Not in Our Name, compilation of essays, 2018.
- Deadly Justice: A Statistical Portrait of the Death Penalty by Frank Baumgartner, Marty Davidson, Kaneesha Johnson, Arvind Krishnamurthy, and Colin Wilson, 2017.
- End of Its Rope: How Killing the Death Penalty Can Revive Criminal Justice by Brandon L. Garret, 2017.
- The History of the Death Penalty in Colorado by Michael Radelet, 2017.
- Exonerated: A History of the Innocence Movement by Robert J. Norris, 2017.
- Against the Death Penalty, edited by John Bessler, 2016.
- Confronting the Death Penalty: How Language Influences Jurors in Capital Cases by Robin Conley, 2016.
- Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson, 2015.
- The Criminal Docket Episode 64: Interview with Alabama Criminal Defense Attorney Richard S. Jaffe, NACDL, April 2021.
- The Criminal Docket Episode 56: Forthcoming Documentary: "In the Executioner's Shadow", 2018.
- Discussions with DPIC - Professor Bharat Malkani Explores the Relationship Between Slavery and
Slavery-Abolition Strategies and the Modern U.S. Death Penalty
- Discussions with DPIC - Racial Discrimination in Death Penalty Jury Selection
- Discussions with DPIC - The Duane Buck Case
A Defender’s Guide to Federal Evidence: A Trial Practice Handbook for Criminal Defense Attorneys
This Guide to Federal Evidence is the only federal evidence handbook written exclusively for criminal defense lawyers. The Guide analyzes each Federal Rule of Evidence and outlines the main evidentiary issues that confront criminal defense lawyers. It also summarizes countless defense favorable cases and provides tips on how to avoid common evidentiary pitfalls. The Guide contains multiple user-friendly flowcharts aimed at helping the criminal defense lawyer tackle evidence problems. A Defender’s Guide to Federal Evidence is an indispensable tool in preparing a case for trial.
Modern Digital Evidence & Technologies in Criminal Cases
Modern cases need modern defenses, and modern lawyers can't practice with an outdated playbook. This program is a contemporary training that identifies emerging technologies and digital evidence encountered in today's criminal cases and arms you with the tools necessary to combat expert witnesses, prosecutorial overreach, and an uneducated judge and jury. This comprehensive CLE program covers both general aspects of new technologies as well as practical courtroom application and legal challenges to the use of these new technologies.
Top Shelf DUI Defenses: The Law, The Science, The Techniques (2021)
If you are serious about being an effective DUI defense advocate, or if you’re considering adding DUI defenses to your portfolio, you need to know the latest scientific and legal strategies to optimize your success at trial. Learn from the best-of-the-best in the field in this unique CLE Program, updated for 2021.
Defending Modern Drug Cases (2021)
From challenging the arrest and seizure to picking a jury and cross-examining police officers, defense attorneys handling drug cases must be able to construct a defense that will increase the chances of the client getting a positive result for your client.
Effective motion practice, juror selection, and storytelling have never been more important. This seminar will introduce defense counsel to techniques that have been used at recent drug trials to rebut specific claims and overcome the emotion created in today’s criminal legal system.